We use the following methods as our goal is to achieve strong communication and genuine consultation with all school parties:

  • Weekly ' Week Ahead' emails from teachers advising of learning focus, upcoming events and activities, and details of home learning requirements.
  • Seesaw for students to share their learning with whanau & friends 
  • Facebook: celebrates the vibrant community we have at HNI and highlights students' success in learning, sports and cultural activities
  • Oral and written reports to parent/caregivers - 2 x yearly
  • School Community/House Meetings
  • Sporting, Social and Cultural events throughout the year
  • School Community Surveys - Maori Consultation 
                                                       - Community Health Survey 
  • from time to time, emails are sent from the office to all families as important issues arise

We know that strong, positive communication between school and home is a very important factor in student engagement with our school community and in progressing their learning. We invite you to talk with us about your child at any time.  We acknowledge that you know your child better than anyone, and we are keen to understand from you how they learn and what they do well, in addition to how we might support and challenge them.

Guidelines for Informal Complaints or Queries

The following is a reminder of the ways to best communicate with school staff in relation to your child. For administration support, please contact the school office directly via phone or email.

Step 1: Contact the class teacher by note, email, or by phone to make a time to discuss either in person or over the phone if suitable to do so. What's most important, is finding a way to communicate that is timely

Step 2: The Dean, or Deputy Principal, and then if you feel it necessary, the Principal

Step 3: School Board (use School Docs to follow the correct procedure for formal communication)

Our primary goal is to create the best learning environment for the students of our school. We encourage open communication and prefer that parents come to us to talk through a problem rather than discuss it in the community.

These are recommended guidelines for parents making informal complaints.

  1. Discuss the issue with the right person.
    • If the matter is a general issue, discuss it with the person concerned or a member of the management team or the principal.
    • If you have a complaint about a staff member, contact the person involved and discuss the matter. We ask that parents make this direct approach as soon as possible. Be prepared to make a time to discuss your complaint if the staff member is unable to talk with you straight away. Be open to listening to the other side of the story to avoid communication breakdowns.

    If you do not wish to approach the person concerned, contact a member of the management team or the principal to resolve the matter. The principal or management team member may communicate with the staff member concerned.

    • If you have a complaint about one of our students, contact the student's class teacher or the principal to discuss the matter.
    • If the matter concerns the principal and you have not first resolved it by discussion, or you feel uncomfortable directly approaching the principal, contact the chairperson of the board of trustees.
    • If the matter concerns a board member, contact the chairperson of the board of trustees, or board member if it concerns the board chair.

    If you complain to a board member, you will be encouraged to resolve the issue with the guidelines above, and the board member will inform the principal and board chair.

  2. Work towards a resolution.
    • In most cases, constructive discussion will resolve the issue.
    • If you are unhappy with the outcome of your initial meeting, contact the principal, a member of the management team, or the board chair to discuss further resolution. They will consider and respond to the complaint as appropriate.

If an informal meeting does not resolve your concern or complaint, you can make a formal complaint.

The school monitors and records any concerns about student safety.